It’s always a good idea to be an informed consumer. When it comes to installing solar panels, understanding how solar power works and how the installation process takes place is important. It helps to know the right questions to ask when an installer comes to your home to provide a quote.
Before your appointment with an installer, you should be aware of how much electricity you use on an average monthly basis (based on your utility bills). You should also know how much you pay for that electricity. Don’t worry if you don’t understand your energy bills; most people don’t. Your installer should be able to help you analyze your bill, not only so they can properly size your system, but also so you can better understand how your energy usage behavior impacts your bills. Having your bills available (they can almost always be downloaded from your utility’s website) is important for an accurate solar design.
Your goal is to find a reputable solar installation company that knows your community and will be able to provide timely, highquality service you can trust. In addition to providing copies of their licenses and insurance, the installer should be able to answer any questions about solar power as well as about their services.
LG works with a national network of trusted installers known as LG PROs. Contacting an LG PRO is a good way to start the process. Below are 10 questions you can ask to help determine if the installer is the right one for you:
- Can you provide me with local reference projects that you’ve built?
- What percentage of your business comes from referrals?
- Do you offer competitive finance options including loans and leases, as well as the ability for me to own the system outright?
- Have you performed a shade analysis at my site and incorporated that data into your performance projections?
- What is your workmanship warranty?
- What is your “handover” process? Do you train me on how to monitor and maintain the system? Do you offer a maintenance package?
- How long have you been in business and can you share a copy of your company financials?
- What key system components do you use and why do you select them? Are they the lowest price, best quality, or just something that’s easy to get?
- Are service contracts and warranties transferrable if I sell my home?
- Do you sub out any of the trades or will all of the installers at my home be your employees?